Volunteer and Intern Opportunites
PIVOT (Programmatic Interns and Volunteers Organized Together)
The PIVOT Program provides opportunities for volunteers and interns to get involved with the Society of Arts and Crafts in a meaningful way. We appreciate the many volunteers who dedicate their time and talents ensuring our programs are adequately staffed.
The Society of Arts and Crafts is looking for volunteers and interns to give us a hand year-round. We are grateful for your talents: guest engagement; marketing and outreach; administrative tasks; education; hospitality and beyond!
Volunteers have the opportunity to engage with the Society in various ways.
• CraftBoston: Volunteers make this twice-annual craft show run smoothly. Volunteers are needed from Wednesday to Sunday for set-up, greeting, ticket-sales, booth-sitting, and take-down. The original Volunteer opportunity at the Society! CraftBoston specific call-for-volunteers will be circulated by email twice annually in anticipation for each show.
• Exhibition Gallery: Gallery Volunteers have the opportunity to engage with guests in an educational role. They share details about the exhibition including information on artists and objects as well as monitor the gallery.
• Retail Gallery: Retail Volunteers help guests learn more about artists represented at the Society and the objects for sale. Answer questions about techniques and materials, share stories about artists, and help guests touch and try out objects. Sales experience not necessary. Let us know if you’re comfortable taking payments and using a register.
• Public Programs: Give a hand with programs such as receptions, lectures, workshops, and demos. Tasks will vary depending on the program.
• Administrative: Back-of-the-house needs help, too! Project-specific opportunities will pop up throughout the year. Let us know your skills and interests, and we’ll reach out.
Interns are an integral part of our success. Our goal is to provide an enriching experience and further student education by providing meaningful opportunities to gain valuable work experience and expand understanding of careers within the arts. Internships are for credit only.Opportunities will be posted as needed by individual departments at the Society. See below for links with more details about current internship opportunities.
• CraftBoston Assistant/Intern: Work with CraftBoston Director to prepare for the two craft shows. Click here to review internship description and qualifications.
• Marketing Intern: Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager in outreach efforts. Click here to review internship description and qualifications.
• Education and Programs Intern (Graduate Level): Work with the Curator to develop and host public programs to supplement exhibitions. Click here to review internship description and qualifications.
• Curatorial Intern: Work with the Curator to assist with exhibitions planning, installation, and monitoring Gallery during open hours. Click here to review internship description and qualifications.
• Experience: Gain exposure to the inner workings of a small non-profit arts organization. By working with staff, you’ll see what makes us tick and how we work together to fulfill our mission.
• Work Readiness: You’ll have the opportunity to talk to staff about their education path and experience. We’ll review your cover letter and résumé at the end of the internship and practice interviewing.
• Make a difference: Your time and efforts are a huge help to us! You’ll have the opportunity to work on exciting projects and contribute to our everyday successes.